How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a moment every Kelowna winter when you can’t uncover the cause of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help limit spending and reduce drafty air from entering your home, it’s important to be able to distinguish where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some beneficial tips to pinpoint your Kelowna home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Examine for gaps and cracks in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the usual windows with workable means and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Check to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket by the functional portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only function as well as it is positioned.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows & Doors - Kelowna in Kelowna to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Kelowna a call at 250-863-7902 with any extra questions or potential replacement needs.